About Me

Mother to 2 sweet girls who were born in China. and a very happy little baby boy from Vietnam. Wife to a loving husband Chris. Also mom to dogs, cats, and birds. I am a very tired pediatric ER nurse.

Friday, September 7, 2007

I Carry your heart with me


i carry your heart with me (i carry it in
my heart) i am never without it (anywhere
i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)

i fear
no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet) i want
no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart) ee cummings

Today Chris left for home. We were both crying like small children, our parting was like a lifetime drama. As the cab pulled away I felt so alone. My heart was aching. To part over 9000 miles away from home is hard. I know I will see him within 1 week, but he is my best friend. He is the one who makes me laugh until I can't stand up, the one who hears all my secrets and fears and loves me no matter what. We had this poem as one of our wedding readings because we loved it. When you have kids the entire meaning of these words changes. It becomes more real. "The wonder that keeps the stars apart"...I see it every day when Dylan's little face looks up and smiles at me.

Dylan's hat is evidence that we have been watching the Discovery channel 24/7 for almost 2 weeks(only channel working!) Kid vs the Wild Streets of Hanoi! Can cross the roads while balanced in a sling, living on bottles of formula only, sleeping in a crib! One tough dude, one cool hat!


It really is wonderful to see Chris as a father to his son. He has a fear of poopie diapers, and Dylan prefers me for night time bottles (thanks kid, what did your dad teach you when I went shopping?). Chris also can play with Dylan, hold him, and rock him to sleep for hours. He did not put him down for last past few days.

So Chris be careful, be safe. We carry your heart with us, we carry it in our hearts. Your love has made us complete!

4 comments:

mam said...

Such a wonderful post, such a wonderful poem. Wishing you a very speedy reunion, and more fun exploring the great outback of Hanoi!

Anonymous said...

Okay, now I miss Chris. Come visit soon!

Stacey said...

I can't believe you are quoting eecummings! I love his poems! I've been reading your blog. Thanks for posting in it, it keeps those of us waiting to travel busy and lets us see what is in store for us. We will be arriving soon after you leave-the 15th of Sept. I thought I should mention that you look way too good in all of your pictures. Maybe you can look hot and sweaty in a couple. And you are wearing cute dresses and skirts! I hope the people I travel with like the three or four outfits I will be wearing everyday!!!Your little guy is soo soo cute!

Karen said...

Charisa,

Hope you are coming home soon and are reunited with your best friend. The trip is hard and coming home is great! Thinking of you!

Karen